Saturday, December 14, 2013

Slow down

It's as though it was just yesterday.  I was ten years old and talking on the phone to my best friend.  She lived across the street and we thought we were so cool and mature talking on the phone.  Then I was overcome with sadness, a sadness I didn't know existed at the time. My best friend, my other half, the girl I had seen every day since I was three was telling me she was moving. To London. England. Not another state, another city, but another country.

Yes, I know. A tad dramatic on my part, but I can honestly say that phone call changed my life.  That was eight years ago and I can tell you the weather and where I was sitting and every single detail surrounding that moment.

In the following weeks, we packed up her toys, her room, her sisters stolen stuff.  Then the boxes came and left, the dogs were taken for their immunizations, the house was rented out.  It was all a blur past that point, I can't even describe the goodbye, just the tears afterwards.

Little did our parents know, but they were in for a rude awakening.  We were not the type of girls to just give up on each other, not after seven years of friendship.  Almost yearly, I flew to London, she returned to Atlanta, we skyped, we called, we made it.

Now, as I sit in my childhood bedroom, reminiscing over my first semester of college, I find myself texting her.  As always, just being us, being completely one hundred percent honest, silly, weird, normal us. It's so odd to me how so much time has passed and one person has been here for so long.  I am eighteen years old and she has been there for me for fifteen years.  That is exactly five sixths of my life.

Now to the point, because I feel like there should be one, don't treat people like a chapter in your life. Yes, people come and go, we all know boys are not forever, but don't just give up on people.  Overcome those circumstances and try, if you can say you tried and failed, that's fine. But don't just let someone go, when they could be such an important part of your story.



Love you tons Kelcey, I'd be lost without you. (insert kissy face emoji here)

xox
Char

No comments:

Post a Comment